Head of Section Process-Outcome Research
Section Process-Outcome Research
Department of Psychiatry II, Ulm University
89312 Günzburg, Germany
Phone: +49 8221 96-2866
Fax: +49 8221 96-28160
- since April 2019: Co-chair of the GACD's Mental Health Research Programme
- since 2010: Member of the Recovery Research Network
- since 2008: Member of the Executive Committee of the European Network for Mental Health Service Evaluation (ENMESH)
- since 2000: Member of the Society for Psychotherapy Research (SPR)
- June 2010: “Early Career Achievement Award” of the Society for Psychotherapy Research (SPR)
- since March 2015: Senior Associate Editor of Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences
Bernd graduated in psychology („Diploma“) at Saarland University in 1996. In 1999, he joined the Center for Psychotherapy Research in Stuttgart where he was responsible for conducting a largescale longitudinal observational study on the effectiveness of routine outpatient psychotherapy.
In 2003, shortly after earning his PhD, Bernd moved to Ulm University’s Department of Psychiatry II (head Thomas Becker) to start working as senior researcher. There, he acquired grants for and co-led two randomized controlled trials examining the efficacy of progress monitoring and discharge planning in the treatment people with severe mental illness. He also coordinated the EU funded multicenter study “Clinical decision making and outcome in routine care for people with severe mental illness” (CEDAR, 2009 - 2012). Since 2018, he is coordinator of the multicentre study Using Peer Support In Developing Empowering Mental Health Services (UPSIDES) funded by the European Union and the Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD). Since 2008, he is Member of the Executive Committee of the European Network for Mental Health Service Evaluation (ENMESH). In 2010, he received the Early Career Achievement Award from the Society for Psychotherapy Research (SPR). In 04/2012, he became head of the Department’s newly funded section Process-Outcome Research, and since 04/2015, he is Senior Associate Editor of the journal Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences. Since 04/2019 he is co-chair of the GACD's Mental Health Research Programme.
Bernd’s major research interests include process-outcome research and global mental health. His publication list comprises 72 peer-reviewed papers, 11 books or book chapters, and 100+ congress contributions.