Medical Child Protection Hotline (Medizinische Kinderschutzhotline)
consultation service for health professionals, child and youth welfare workers and family court professionals
Child Protection, Medicine, Hotline, Telephone Helpline, Child Maltreatment
- Prof. Dr. Michael Kölch, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Psychotherapy, Ruppiner Hospital, University Hospital of the Brandenburg Medical School
- PD Dr. Arpad von Moers, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, DRK (German Red Cross) Hospitals Berlin | Westend
01.10.2016 – 31.12.2024
Link Project Website
Background & Aim of the Project
The Medical Child Protection Hotline (telephone number: 0800 - 19 210 00) is a german nationwide, free-of-charge, 24-hour telephone advice service funded by the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ) for professionals from the health sector, child and youth welfare services, and family courts in suspected cases of child abuse, neglect and sexual child abuse. The project is under the direction of Prof. Jörg M. Fegert at the Klinik für Kinder- und Jugendpsychiatrie/ Psychotherapie Ulm.
Medical doctors with a special background knowledge in the field of child protection provide advice on questions such as:
- Medical questions related to child maltreatment
- Medical contacts for appropriate diagnostics and therapy
- What are the responsibilities of specialized health care facilities?
- What is the state of medical knowledge on various aspects of abuse / neglect / sexual abuse?
- Which medical procedure is necessary, reasonable, possible in the concrete case?
The consultation is anonymous, the case responsibility always remains with the callers on site.
The project is funded until the end of 2024. It has been positively evaluated by the DJI. The goal of the project is a permanent implementation of the service
Materials and publications
Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ)